Thursday, November 29, 2012

Untitled Document

Blog Assignment:  Impact of Technology and Multimedia

What impact does technology and multimedia have on online learning environments?
Technology and multimedia have a great impact in an online learning environment.  Students are required to have basic computer skills such as emails, internet and research skills.  However, in a graduate course the skill sets are required to be more in depth.  Tools such as email, announcement, audio and video lectures, and Audacity, Blogs, Wiki and Course management systems are all part of the learning environment.  As I reflect on my EDUC 6135, I used www.coursesites.com as my CMS for the course.  This particular CMS website was user friendly and followed the format of our current Blackboard.  Because of this, the influence is throughout your online learning experience as it relates to technology and multimedia.


What are the most important considerations an online instructor should make before implementing technology?
The instructor should start by keeping it simple.  This is done by focusing on the essential tools, and builds your course around those tools.  The instructor should also assess the knowledge level of students in the course.  He can do this by surveying the students to see what their knowledge level of certain tools and multimedia.  For example, I have knowledge of Adobe software but I had never used Adobe prior to starting at Walden.  I had to not only learn Adobe but learn and advance version of Adobe with Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Adobe Fireworks.

 
What implications do usability and accessibility of technology tools have for online teaching?
To me this is a simple answer.  The more you use these tools and multimedia the more comfortable you become with using them.  I never used Audacity until Walden but since I’ve used it a couple times and reviewed the tutorials; I am confident is using Audacity and converting my files to MP3 or MP4 files.
The accessibility of technology tools are only a click away and provide so much support to the online teaching.  I can go to any website and download or sign up for a particular tool and have this tool available at all times.  For example, I signed up for http://www.webspirationpro.com/ for a couple of our classes.  It was easy to learn about as well as use for my courses.


What technology tools are most appealing to you for online teaching as you move forward in your career in instructional design?
The tools that are most appealing to me are the Course management systems, Blogs, Skype and the virtual classroom tools.  I chose these because they have enhanced my knowledge of online learning and allowed me to progress in my online learning.  I am confident that I can now teach an online learning class because of these great tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment