Saturday, August 4, 2012

Week 6 Blog Assignment The project I worked on was when I was working on my Master’s at Troy University. It was our capstone class and we had to do a SWOT analysis on a company. SWOT stands for strength, weakness, opportunities and threats. The company we chose was Dell. The project team consisted of 5 of us. We decided to make someone project manager because he did SWOT analysis in the Army and was very familiar with the process. Our schedule was to meet every week at the library and go over our particular portion of the project. There was a timelines of when things had to be turned in. The project managers would be absent more than present towards the end of the project. Honestly, we depended on him a little too much because he did most of the work in the beginning. In the end, some of us had to step up to make decision and make changes to our project. One area we had to change but didn’t was the scope of the project. The project manager had the wrong information and everyone was scared to say something. I knew it was wrong based on my notes but was scared as well. We presented our presentation to the professor and he said we did a good job but our scope was wrong. WOW!!!! Looking back at that situation, I would surely speak up now and not second guess myself. I learned there are no bad questions when it comes to working on a project. Also, I would have stepped up more in the absence of the project manager.

5 comments:

  1. I know just what you mean. Sometimes we dont' want to hurt others feelings or just deal with trying to fight them on what we should be doing. It sure doesn't help either when that project manager has a strong personality. I honestly don't like group work but it's a part of life. Is there any method you can think of in the beginning of a project that would help with future problems?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Edward -
    This is Julie McDowell from EIDT 6510. I look forward to following your blog and expect to get some great insight into the corporate world (I'm an 8th grade teacher).
    Thanks - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edward,

    This is Lisa Sheppard Walker from EIDT 6510-10. I am looking forward to following your posts. Looking forward to another great eight weeks.

    Thanks,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Edward,

    My name is April Hughes from EIDT 6510 Online Instructional Strategies. I am following your blog. I look forward to working with you.

    Thanks,
    April

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Edward,
    This is Carie Jackson from EIDT 6510. I am following your blog and look forward to sharing ideas with you through out this course.

    ReplyDelete